This post is an excerpt from an original post by Sam Cherubin.
“A Conversation with Samantha Keen
What is burnout?
First of all, I want to define burnout from my own experience as a practitioner. I work on the level of subtle bodies, or the non-physical level of the human condition. This includes the body of vitality or life-force, and consciousness or the spiritual dimension.
When a person has burnout:
- they’re deeply exhausted
- they feel cynical
- they don’t believe they can make any difference
In this experience, in their body of energy, there’s a very deep depletion that needs to be addressed first. But this exhaustion is more than something a weekend in bed can fix. The depletion comes from being emotionally overstimulated for a long time. Think of nurses in an Emergency Room – they push themselves to do things they didn’t want to do or their body wasn’t ready for.
After a long time of going against your own internal rhythms and needs the result is potentially a deep level of energy depletion. At this level of exhaustion, there’s a disconnection from the body of life-force, and consequently, desires and wantings. So, the person is both deeply drained, and they’re not connected to themselves, at a source level.
This is why meditation-based therapies like the ones that I practice can be so beneficial, because they facilitate both a re-connection, and also a boost to the life force.
Burnout was first defined by Freudenberger in 1974, but more recently, Dr Christina Maslach Ph.D has been leading the research. She’s at UC Berkeley, just around the corner from where I live.
She defines burnout as a psychological syndrome involving:
- Emotional exhaustion (feelings of being emotionally overextended and exhausted by one’s work)
- Depersonalization (unfeeling and impersonal response toward recipients of one’s service, care treatment, or instruction)
- A diminished sense of personal accomplishment (feelings of incompetence and failure in one’s work)”
To continue reading the article and learn more about how to support women experiencing burnout , click the image below:
Latest posts by Ludell Jones (see all)
- View from the C-Suite: Levers of Influence - January 18, 2018
- Michele Chaboudy on Marketing Management as You Scale - January 17, 2018
- The Secret to Human-Centric Networking - January 16, 2018